Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Treasure box

I've been working with discharge paste called 'Decolourant' this week. I wanted to make a box from the fabric that i'd made. I had bought a lovely little button from the button show at Macclesfield Silk Museum made by Jane Carmichael. (does anyone know her??)


it's about 2cms wide and i thought i would make a box to keep it in and wanted to stitch it in a similar style. It has an Indian feel so i thought i would discharge the base velvet fabric using an Indian style stencil. I painted the velvet with teal dye na flow, ironed it to fix then sprayed over with magenta procion dye. Then i sprayed decolourant through the stencil and ironed it while wet, you can see the result above under the button.


of course i got got carried away with machine and hand embroidery....


So much so that i completely covered the original fabric!!


thats what happens i spose.....




5 comments:

Kim Boyd said...

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Kim Boyd said...

Fabulous! Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

dreaminginstitches said...

Just proves that not knowing when to stop is not a bad thing. Love it.

Gina said...

That is rather scrumptious!

Emily Carnes said...

that is amazing!! i just found your blog and i love your work. i have never used machine embroidery with hand sewing, but now I'm going to try!