Pages

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Feathers and Leaves....the meditation of making

I'm working on a new project for the Poetry Festival Exhibition at the Weavers Gallery Church Lane, Ledbury. A nice loose theme this time based on books.

I've noticed that when i look at images of my work the music i was listening to at the time of making comes to mind. I also noticed that everytime i look at this experimental piece of work it reminds me of 'The Night Circus' by Erin Morgenstern.


I was thinking about the process of transfer printing and colour... it was instinctive making with no end in mind. While i was doing this i was listening to the talking book of 'The Night Circus'. So now in my mind only this piece and the book are firmly connected.

For this next piece i have partially staged the experiment. I read 'Prodigal Summer' by Barbara Kingsolver years ago,,,,i loved it though i had forgotten quite a few parts but in the back of my mind i had the colour green.

So i painted papers with transfer paints, picked out some nice fabrics switched on the talking book and began working with no other preparation....heres the result
it's called feathers and leaves, the feathers are not quite what they seem....

“This is how moths speak to each other. They tell their love across the fields by scent. There is no mouth, the wrong words are impossible, either a mate is there or he is not, and if so the pair will find each other in the dark.” 
― Barbara KingsolverProdigal Summer





3 comments:

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Two stunning pieces of work Angie.
Anne x

Erica said...

Angie, I love your work - it makes me think of exquisite jewellery. I am intrigued with your hypothesis about the connection between inspiration and listening.

dreaminginstitches said...

When I'm stitching, I've found that the less I plan, the better the piece turns out, it's as if if I just show up to make the stitches, something else takes over the decisions about colours, threads and what goes where. I firmly believe that stitching is a meditative practice, but I'm also beginning to think it is the channel to inspiration.