Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Sound Artists!

I am very lucky to have such a great bunch of textile mates around. Yesterday in the studio the Adhesion group met up, these are girls I’ve been working with on and off for 3 years we decided to get together as regularly as possible for discussion and exchange of ideas.
here they all are making blizzard books for fun!!!

Last session we were trying to think of interesting ways of coming up with ideas and while we were chatting I remembered having to speak to Herefordshire Council in support of my local pub’s music licence. I was allowed 10mins to speak, the issue was neighbours objecting to the noise. My feelings are that when you live in a busy town centre you have to put up with a certain level of noise so I was there to urge tolerance when you live closely with other human beings.
As part of my ten minutes of ‘glory’ I sat in my studio and recorded on paper the sounds that I heard in a 10 min period, constant traffic noise, dogs barking, the hum of my computer, mobile phone alarm, the tinny bhangra radio from the Indian restaurant next door, pans clanking, my breathing. It’s very interesting what you can hear when you give your whole concentration to one sense. We decided to all go away and do 10mins in a noisy place and then a quiet place…the group came back with some very interesting results.


I remember lookin at the earlier work of Richard Long when I was at college. He recorded sounds as he went on long walks, this is an artwork of a circular walk he took.

Sue recorded sounds on a walk with her dogs and was inspired to make a lovely small piece inspired by the sound of birds. (no photo sorry).


Sylvia recorded noise at her sisters house and converted it into stitch heres a couple of pics.




Ann (a great researcher) got all wrapped up in the idea of synesthetic art and found out all sorts on the subject (an instance of this is where an artist sees colour when listening to music) Kandinsky was a synesthetic artist

Heres a bit on Kandinsky for your viewing pleasure




No comments: