Pages

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Automata and other stuff.....................

Blimey i just noticed the last blog date i have been remiss but quite busy.

i went on holiday to Portugal and visited a lovely village on the silver coast called 'obidos' a bit of Moorish Portugal and totally beautiful. Aren't holidays great i didn't realise!



I've also been travelling around the country teaching and doing a bit of exhibiting again. My work was featured in Brighton Open Houses at Kim Thittichai's during May along side a group of lovely young men called Circus Kinetica who made intriguing weather vanes and lots of other stuff. i bought a piece called a Happy Clapper here atop my artshed




Meeting these guys and seeing thier work got me all interested in Automata and i wondered if i could possibly make one, so i got together with Marcus of the secret Laboratory and we worked out a way of doing it.




the design



the 'mill'








working out how to make the waves move









it works!!!!!















a test run in the frame.












the young masefield sets sail.




'The Young Masefield Goes Forth' can be seen at the Weavers Gallery, church lane, Ledbury 10 - 5 closing this sunday 12th July 2009. Hope you can make it, otherwise i hope this little video will suffice. it was taken by John Eager of Ledbury Portal. I'll be taking it to the Festival of Quilts so there another chance to see it in action. Stand Demo E. See you soon.

3 comments:

ferinn said...

Wow ,that is so amazing.I especially love the orange fish whipping in and out.How clever!

Anne B said...

Saw your automaton at NEC - made me laugh! Er- I do hope that was the reaction you wanted. Feel free to look at my blog - following your Forge Mill day I've been teling everyone about Hundertwasser. Coincidentally my tutor - Sian Martin - has been into Hundertwasser for some time. Stay well Angie!

Helen Suzanne said...

Hi Angie, have just found your blog and what a treat! Love this piece and you've inspired me to have a go - I was going to do a pop up fibre book but this is much more alluring :D